Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Diana Ross, Kanye West, Nas, Jimmy Webb and Me

In 1969 I was a young songwriter at Mr. Bones Music Publishing in Hollywood headed by Bones Howe. I wrote a song ( under my maiden name Cheryl Ernst)  titled 'The Interim' which was recorded by Diana Ross for Motown. Jimmy Webb, who had at one time worked in the copyright office for Motown, had written a song titled simply, 'Interim' which was recorded by Richard Harris.
Other than the confusion over the titles, the songs are not remotely the same.

Although it was clearly titled 'The Interim' on Diana Ross' Diana Ross (Re mastered) cd released by Motown in 2002, my song was attributed to Jimmy Webb. In 2006 Kanye West and Nas released
Hip Hop is Dead and included 'Still Dreaming' which sampled Diana Ross's recording of my song 'The Interim' and once again the song was attributed to Jimmy Webb.

All parties concerned; Motown, BMG publishing, BMI, Universal and Jimmy Webb have been notified of the error and still the misattribution continues despite our ongoing efforts.

I wrote my first song at 14 and I'm still writing songs at 67. I've had other songs recorded by many artists but I've never had someone else take credit for my creative work. Copyright infringement is a big problem for many creative people in the internet age. While I may never get wealthy from songwriter's royalties, at the very least I, not Jimmy Webb, should get the credit for my song.  

No comments: